DEBATES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place to voice your opinion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inBlog

Nuclear Energy

Go down 
2 posters

Do you approve of nuclear energy?
Yes
Nuclear Energy Vote_lcap67%Nuclear Energy Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
No
Nuclear Energy Vote_lcap0%Nuclear Energy Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Unsure
Nuclear Energy Vote_lcap33%Nuclear Energy Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Back

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

DEBATES Points : 5351

Nuclear Energy Empty
PostSubject: Nuclear Energy   Nuclear Energy Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 3:45 pm

With the fall of fossil fuel power, governments across the globe have been searching for alternative energy sources. As a result, formerly ignored electricity ideas, like nuclear energy, are being revived. However, is this really a good thing?

Tell us what you think. Is nuclear energy good or bad?

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://debates.forumotion.net
Pripyat
Pripyat

DEBATES Points : 5251

Nuclear Energy Empty
PostSubject: I ain't so sure   Nuclear Energy Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but I really don't know what to believe about nuclear energy. I mean, I was told from a young age to help make the world green, conserve energy, use renewable energy sources, blah blah blah, and nuclear energy has always been portrayed badly. It's funny cuz even my username is linked to the worst nuclear disaster ever. Maybe the media just wants the people to disagree with nuclear power. For instance, I'm sure the government isn't too fond of it, as one small power plant is about 1 billion dollars (from what I've heard). But then again, there are environmentalist groups that support it fully and others that radically act out against it.

I just have to ask: What could happen if something went wrong? Would the plant explode? Would the surrounding population suffer from radiation sickness? I just don't really know enough to make an informed decision. If someone could explain this to me, that'd be great. Smile rabbit
Back to top Go down
Hi
Anonymous

Nuclear Energy Empty
PostSubject: Nuclear energy = death   Nuclear Energy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Nuclear power may be an efficient way to produce large quantities of energy, but it is totally unsafe. Yes, you could argue that if funded well and run correctly, nothing should theoretically go wrong. However, we all know how greedy governments can be. They want to get as much product as possible from as little money as possible. Like in the Soviet Union (they just didn't hide their crimes), they don't care if a plant isn't completely and totally safe - as long as it runs smoothly and fulfills its purpose, whatever right? Wrong. It's not hard for a nuclear power plant to have a meltdown, especially when the workers are unqualified and the facility has the funding of a small public school. Maintenance is never done properly, so plants decay over time, but the government would oppose any propositions to shut an expensive plant down.

If we could put faith in our government, I would put faith in nuclear energy. But as our government is secretly corrupt, scheming and dishonest, the plant probably won't get the attention it needs to be at full capacity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nuclear Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nuclear Energy   Nuclear Energy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nuclear Energy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DEBATES :: Debates :: Science and Technology-
Jump to: