DEBATES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place to voice your opinion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inBlog

God

Go down 
3 posters

Does God exist?
 Yes
 Yes (and other deities)
 No
 No personal god/gods
 All deities exist
 Unsure
View results
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

DEBATES Points : 5350

God Empty
PostSubject: God   God Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Throughout history, humans have been wondering about the existence of a higher being that is in control of the functions of the Universe. However, in more recent years, advocates of science have been becoming more skeptical of the possibility of a god existing. Does the topic of theism go beyond the boundaries of science?

Tell us what you think. Does God exist?

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://debates.forumotion.net
Pripyat
Pripyat

DEBATES Points : 5250

God Empty
PostSubject: How can you tell?   God Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm

Humans certainly don't have superpowers, and we aren't always right. What is knowledge anyway? Is it a matter of personal experience? You can't factually deny the existence of a deity, but you can't factually accept the existence of one either. I guess I'll just have to wait till the day of my death. Sad

I sometimes wish a god does exist, yet at other times, I hope he doesn't. Not because I commit sins and crimes 24/7, but because he seems quite... restrictive. I want to live my life the way I want to, and not just to please some man in the sky. Is that selfish? I sure hope not.

I don't want to say too much, as I try not to think about this too much. It makes my brain hurt. Razz Both sides of the argument provide their fair share of contradictions (like the "something can't come from nothing" argument), yet no one seems to combine the concepts of faith and logic. You can't rely on science to disprove God, and you can't depend on faith to be right.

Who really knows though? I think the Bible is a heap of crap, but I always thought that science has limited power. But that could just be my American Christian upbringing talking. scratch
Back to top Go down
squashbanana

squashbanana

DEBATES Points : 5266

God Empty
PostSubject: Re: God   God Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 pm

I've argued this in detail so many times that you must excuse me if I get bored halfway through and stop writing. Wink I'll also try and keep it short and sweet so I don't lose anyone's interest. I do have a tendency to ramble on about this subject.

*ahem*

To start, I will assert that evolution has, in essence, been classified as a fact. If it were possible to compellingly and coherently dispute evolution with FACTS and irrefutable EVIDENCE, why would it be taught in Canada and many Nordic and other scientific nations?

Rather than listing the normal contradictions and paradoxes in religious texts, I will point my fingers at the Bible for a short while not to scientifically falsify it but to morally falsify it. How can you live off of a tome that is primitive and outdated? How can humans grow and become increasingly cognizant if all they do is rely on one flawed book to answer all of their questions?

The first quote I would like to highlight promotes gender inequality:

Colossians 3:18: "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."

Secondly, I'd like to point to the following quote:

Psalm 137:9: "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling."

The above quotes are found amongst countless other demeaning and unethical principles, like the stoning of disobedient children. All religion does is cause discrimination and war. Also, it creates psychotic fanatics like the Westboro Baptist Church and Muslim extremists.

To make it short, no, God certainly does not exist (in my mind) and should not be dignified with faith since "faith" can merely prove to be disastrous and counterproductive.

For now, I will save the science for another poster to cover, or I will do it myself if I am challenged.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

God Empty
PostSubject: Re: God   God Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

God
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DEBATES :: Debates :: Philosophy and Religion-
Jump to: