DEBATES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place to voice your opinion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inBlog

Death Penalty

Go down 
4 posters

Should the death penalty be legal?
 Yes
 No
 Unsure
View results
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

DEBATES Points : 5351

Death Penalty Empty
PostSubject: Death Penalty   Death Penalty Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Numerous justice systems across the world are against the death penalty; they believe that all humans should get a second chance and that the death penalty is unethical and promotes violent confrontations to solve problems. However, supporters of capital punishment argue that one cannot "learn their lesson" if they can reside in a prison with all of their daily necessities. They think that the punishment must match the crime of the prosecuted individual, such as a serial killer being sentenced to death.

Tell us what you think. Should the death penalty be legal?
Back to top Go down
https://debates.forumotion.net
squashbanana

squashbanana

DEBATES Points : 5267

Death Penalty Empty
PostSubject: The death penalty does more harm than good   Death Penalty Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm

First and foremost, I must declare my opposition to the concept of mental rehabilitation in prison. Any individual who is fucked up enough in the head to engage in a crime meriting the death penalty is beyond repair. On the other hand, I do believe that capital punishment is an act as nefarious as the criminal's. By trying to 'balance out' the criminal's offense, we're utilizing violence, emotion (not law), and outdated standards to prove our point. It costs just as much to keep a prisoner in jail than to execute them.

Additionally, there is no evidence stating the death penalty diminishes the crime rate of the region in which it's enforced. Those who argue it does have no factual basis to support their claim.

Oi, it's 3:22 a.m. in London now! :shock: I have school tomorrow! affraid I'm off to bed. Night!
Back to top Go down
Pripyat
Pripyat

DEBATES Points : 5251

Death Penalty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Penalty   Death Penalty Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 7:56 pm

LMAO! How the crap are we gonna debate our beliefs if we all share similar ones? I completely agree with squashbanana. We shouldn't allow emotion or vengeance into state, as the state should be 100% unbiased to function properly. Even though the death penalty might give closure to the family of the criminal's victim, the cons outweigh the pros.

Besides, the death penalty's like a reversal: if we kill someone, no matter how bad their acts are, we become just as bad as them by taking their life.
Back to top Go down
Scout
Scout

DEBATES Points : 5217

Death Penalty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Penalty   Death Penalty Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 am

The death penalty should not exist. You can NEVER know for sure if a person is guilty or not, even if they confess. They could be lying for some sick reason. Maybe they wanted to die. You can't give them that. If someone was framed, wrongfully accused, anything like that, and they got the death penalty, that person's death would be on the judge's hands. They become just as bad as all of those killers by doing that. It's not up to any person or group of people do decide if someone lives or dies. They don't have the wisdom, and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Death Penalty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Penalty   Death Penalty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Penalty
Page 1 of 1